|Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Ministry of Education
Saudi Electronic University
|المملكة العربية السعودية
الجامعة السعودية الإلكترونية
College of Administrative and Financial Sciences
Strategic Management (MGT 401)
Due Date: 08/08/2022 @ 23:59
|Course Name: Strategic Management||Student’s Name:|
|Course Code: MGT 401||Student’s ID Number:|
|Semester: Summer Semester||CRN:|
For Instructor’s Use only
|Students’ Grade: /15||Level of Marks: High/Middle/Low|
General Instructions – PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY
- The Assignment must be submitted on Blackboard (WORD format only) via allocated folder.
- Assignments submitted through email will not be accepted.
- Students are advised to make their work clear and well presented, marks may be reduced for poor presentation. This includes filling your information on the cover page.
- Students must mention question number clearly in their answer.
- Late submission will NOT be accepted.
- Avoid plagiarism, the work should be in your own words, copying from students or other resources without proper referencing will result in ZERO marks. No exceptions.
- All answered must be typed using Times New Roman (size 12, double-spaced) No pictures containing text will be accepted and will be considered plagiarism).
- Submissions without this cover page will NOT be accepted.
- Understand the basic concepts and terminology used in Strategic Management (CLO1)
- Identify opportunities and threats as well as strengths and weaknesses in the operating (CLO2)
- Distinguish between different types and levels of strategy and strategy implementation environment of hypothetical and real-world organizations. (CLO3)
- Gain insights into the strategy-making processes of different types of organizations (CLO4)
- Understand the contribution of various functional areas e.g. production, marketing, purchasing, and supply management to the overall well-being of the organization. (CLO5)
- Understand issues related to strategic competitive advantage in diversified organizations (CLO6)
This assignment includes 2 sections:
- Case study
Read carefully case No 8 from your textbook (entitled ‘iRobot: Finding the Right Market Mix?) and answer the following questions: (1 mark each question)
- Draw the SWOT matrix of the iRobot company.
- What is the competitive strategy used by iRobot company?
- Use the five forces of the M. Porter matrix to describe the robot-based product industry.
- Describe the different functional strategies of the iRobot company.
- Describe the relationship of iRobot with its primary stakeholders.
- Describe the core competency and the outsourcing strategy of iRobot.
- What kind of strategic alliance is used by iRobot? Why does iRobot choose it?
- What are the main challenges that iRobot faces?
- Assess the competitive advantage of iRobot in its market.
- Recommend solutions for iRobot to improve its competitive advantage.
From real national/international market, select any type of strategic alliance between two firms and answer the following questions: (1 mark each question)
- Briefly introduce your chosen firms, partners of the strategic alliance (industry, nationality, size, market position…). Max 150 words
- What is the type of strategic alliance used by your chosen firms? Explain its different reasons.
- What is the method used by the firms to manage their cultures after alliance? underline the pros and cons of this method.
- Is this strategic alliance successful? Justify.
- What recommendations can you give to the managers of these firms to improve their competitiveness?
- Use at least 4 references for your answers to section II.
- All references used should be listed by the end of your analysis, using the APA style.
- Case Study
- Mini project