A special education teacher in a resource setting has a very difficult job, meeting the needs of a variety of students and covering a multitude of subject matters in a single class period. Being able to properly structure your class and effectively manage class time will help you meet the needs of all students and not become overwhelmed. Adding several strategies and accommodations to your teaching repertoire will also increase your efficacy in the classroom.
For this assignment, assume the role of a first-year special education teacher who has been assigned to the resource room to assist students who are working at the ninth grade level for both English and math. Read the “Class Profile” to obtain specific information about the needs of the students in this class. In addition to the students, you have a paraprofessional in the classroom to assist you. Students meet with you for 50 minutes each day to get help with homework, finish their classwork, study for tests, and get extra support in each subject area. You will need to structure the class so you can address individual student needs in both subject areas and help students develop their cross-curricular skills.
Part 1: Teacher Inquiries
After reviewing the “Class Profile, address the following in a 250-500 word response;
- Describe questions you would have about your teaching assignment before it begins, including any requests for additional information.
- Describe questions you would have for fellow teachers and administration.
- Identify additional information you would like to have before the end of the first week of school.
- Provide a rationale for each inquiry by citing both the “Class Profile” and a minimum of two additional scholarly resources in your responses.
Part 2: Classroom Environment
In 500-750 words compose a response for the following:
- Describe a minimum of three possible ways to structure the classroom setting to meet the needs of the students from the “Class Profile.”
- Describe a minimum of two possible ways to structure a class period.
- Describe a minimum of three instructional strategies and materials, including accommodations and/or assistive technology, that could be employed to meet the curricular content needs of your students in both the English language arts and math classes.
- Describe two collaboration strategies to use when working with the classroom paraprofessional assisting you in meeting the needs of the students in the resource room setting.
- Provide support for your responses by citing both the “Class Profile” and a minimum of two additional scholarly resources in your responses.
Order an Essay Now & Get These Features For Free: